Au Pairs

I want to become an Au Pair, what should I do?

  • Research on what it entails to be an au pair
  • Contact au pair agencies to get more information. (N.B. It helps to also research the agencies to ensure that you receive adequate support once you are an au pair)

Who pays for my visa and travel costs?

  • This differs depending on the family gets. Some families cover these costs, some cover them and will deduct a certain amount of your salary to recover their money and some don’t cover them at all.

Is it necessary to buy a return ticket? I know some girls that didn’t need to.

  • It is very important to follow all requirements to avoid problems when entering Germany. Therefore, it is necessary to buy a return ticket.

How long will it take for me to get my visa?

  • There are many factors involved in how long your visa will take including location of your host family in Germany. It takes between 4-8 weeks.

I am in Germany already and looking for an Au Pair family. Where can I search?

  • You can search online, e.g. or in Facebook groups like au pair Wechsler in Deutschland, au pair in Deutschland.

I’m having problems with my family and I’m failing to solve them. What should I do?

  • Contact you agent an clarify your problem which they should be able to help you with.

I’m having problem with the family and I don’t want to stay anymore. Can I change families?

  • Yes you can change families once in Germany. Contact your agent and they should be able to facilitate this.
  • If they cannot or will not help you, you can contact us via E-mail or Facebook

I am doing things that are not in my contract and working more hours than stated in my contract. What should I do?

  • You can contact your agent and they can talk to your host family.
  • You should also visit our advice page to see how you can deal with such an issue

My host family is refusing for me to do an intensive German course. Am I not entitled to German lessons?

  • You are entitled to attending German language lessons but an intensive language course is not a must as it is time consuming and might interfere with your duties as an au pair.



Can l study in English in Germany?

  • Yes, there is a variety of study programmes which are offered only in English only. You can look these up on

What are the requirements to study in Germany? Must l do a bridging year?

  • These may differ from one study program to another, but you can find this information on the university’s website under the requirements of that particular study course. A quick way to check your foreign results equivalence to the German system is by using this tool on
  • One can do a Studien Kolleg (bridging year), if your qualifications are not enough.

 What is the difference between a University and Fachhochschule?

  • The difference is in the teaching methods and structure of study. Whereas at a university you have only lectures and exams, a Fachhochschule implements a practical training method, where you study and have compulsory internships or semesters abroad.

 Is there a difference between an Ausbildung and a dual-study program?

  • Although quite similar, a dual study program takes place within a Bachelor or Master study program, and an Ausbildung is a training on the job (Apprenticeship), which you absolve for about 2-3years.

What is the Application procedure for international students?

  • Most universities in Germany use the uni-assist portal for international students. You can read more on the prospective student’s website or the uni assist page

Must l pay fees as an international student?

  • As of 2018, Germany introduced fees for international students but students from developing counties are exempt in some regions such as NRW. An overview of the fees can always be found on the universities homepage.

Can l study when l do not have a blocked account with the 8000€ + ?

  • In some regions it is possible to study if you have a Verpflichter, a guardian who signs on your behalf and has proof of reasonable income to sustain themselves and you. They need not be in Germany, but again inform yourself on time and familiarise yourself with the laws of your jurisdiction.

How are the semesters structured? Can l start at any time?

  • Most study Bachelor programmes begin in the winter semester in October, but the Master programs have a Summer intake as well. The Ausbildung and FSJ mostly begin in August and September.

Am l allowed to work?

  • Yes, as an international student you are allowed to work 240 half days or 180 full days and without limit during the holidays.

Where can l get more information?

  • The following websites are very helpful, and there is always enough information on the website of the university. Make use of the contact person given, they are there to help. Send them an email or call them and they will always be helpful.